Associate Pastor for Youth & Discipleship Job Description
To reach out and lead individuals to a saving faith in Jesus Christ, equipping and encouraging them to develop a personal and growing relationship with Him and to serve Him joyfully-with special emphasis on youth and families. This position will also include collaboration with Senior Pastor in worship, pastoral care, and areas of leadership.
Trust in and love for Jesus Christ; passion for others to come to Christ and grow as His disciples; leader who develops and mobilizes leaders; personal integrity; cooperative spirit; authentic; relatable to people of all ages and backgrounds; love for the church; compassionate heart and joyful in pastoral care and administration.
Lead in developing a short-term and long-term vision for implementation of youth and children’s ministries.
- Provide primary leadership in planning, organizing and participating in youth ministry which includes weekly youth groups, mission trips and other youth activities
- Identify and train leaders
- Establish and maintain relationships with youth and their families to enrich and deepen their faith
- Integrate youth into worship and serving the church
- Provide pastoral care to youth and their families
- Serve as a resource person and mentor for children’s ministry leaders
- Support Children’s ministries through participation as needed
- Inspire and assist the transition of children into youth ministry and the life of the church
- Be a resource and support for the work of the Discipleship Team
- Oversee the development of Discipleship curriculum
- Collaborate with Discipleship Team in the development of adult and young adult Bible studies
- Support Discipleship Team Chairperson and attend Discipleship Team meetings
Other Areas of Pastoral Leadership:
- Preach once a month
- Collaborate with Senior Pastor and Music Director in planning and reviewing worship service
- Assist in worship leadership
Support Senior Pastor in Pastoral Care
- Provide pastoral care in crisis situations and hospital visitation
- Perform baptisms, weddings, funerals as needed
- Provide primary pastoral support for the Board of Deacons and their ministries
- Attend Deacon and Session meetings
- Participate in officer training planning and events
- Serve on Session task forces as needed
- Attend staff meetings
- Act as Head of Staff or Session Moderator when Senior Pastor is away
- Represent Bethany in the community and beyond, including attending meetings of the Presbytery
- Perform other duties as assigned by Session and/or Senior Pastor
Educational & Ecclesiastical Requirements:
- Master of Divinity
- Ordained or approved for ordination in the Presbyterian Church-USA
- Will report to the Senior Pastor and work in cooperation with the Session, Session Teams and Chairs (particularly Discipleship), Deacon Board and Moderator, staff and other lay leaders.
- Go to the PC(USA) Church Leadership Connection website and submit your Personal Information Form (PIF) for a Self-Referral.
- When prompted for the Ministry Information Form ID, enter MIF#08134.AC1 for Bethany Presbyterian Church.
- Click here for additional instructions for entering a PIF and submitting a Self-Referral.